Paddington Basin, the end of the line, pictured in the early 1800s. Paddington is now part of London but it was a quiet village when the Grand Junction Canal opened a branch canal to Paddington Basin in 1801. It soon grew rapidly. In 1810, 180,000 tons of goods passed through the basin. By 1840 Paddington was a busy industrial area. From 1820 onwards the Regent's Canal, branching off just before Paddington, provided an additional route on to east London.
The Learning Zone (new window)