Education Team Volunteers work with our Education Officer to ensure
our visiting school groups have an enjoyable and educational visit to the
museum. The museum has a wide range of educational resources; see the education
website for background information on this.
We facilitate learning across the curriculum and by no means is our
work confined to the history of canals. Mathematics, geography, literacy,
science and much more are made exciting in the historic surroundings of the
As an Education Team volunteer you would:
- Contribute in preparing workshops and other materials
- Help set-up workshops ready before groups arrive
- Help deliver workshops & presentations
- Work with children & adults during Museum sessions
- Guide small school groups on short walks on the towpath near the
Museum (scripts are available)
To be successful in the role you will need to be:
- Outgoing and sociable
- Interested in people
- A team player
- Have an interest in how learning happens
You will also ideally have (not essential):
It would be an advantage to have one or more of the following list but
if you do not, full consideration will still be given to your skills,
experience, and capabilities.
- Experience of working with groups of children
- A teacher's qualification
- A degree in museum education or a related subject
Training will be provided in following areas:
- How to facilitate an activity working with a small group of
- How to guide small school groups on short walks on the towpath near
There are also additional opportunities to get involved with other
activities which happen in the museum, for example:
- National Science Week - a national event, which happens during
- Childrens' Activity days - one day a week during the summer
What could you get out of volunteering with us as an Education Team
- Experience and greater confidence in working with children as
individuals and in groups
- Experience and greater confidence in working with other adults
- Organisational skills
- Presentation and guidance skills
- New perspectives on the museum and its work
- For the last two years, all our Education Team Volunteers have gone
on to secure employment in museums and museums education.
What are the working hours and length of commitment?
There are no set days for visiting school groups, however, they
usually take place during the week, Tuesdays to Fridays. The museum is not open
on Mondays. A school visit usually lasts half a day and begins in the morning
after 10 am, when the museum opens. The usual commitment for this role is a
minimum of 6 months.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org about education volunteering.